Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fannie Lou Hamer's Six Degrees of Separation

Fannie Lou Hamer's name and recognition of her place in history has come to me in many ways over the past few weeks. I am researching the artwork of Faith Ringgold; her painting "Sunflower Quilting Bee at Arles" has Fannie Lou Hamer pictured in it at the quilting bee. Shortly after I began doing the background of this painting, the documentary, "Eyes on the Prize" began airing on my local public television station. One of the first segments of the film I watched covered Fannie Lou Hamer making her speech at the Democratic National Convention in 1968. The theme song of the film keeps playing in my head and Mrs Hamer's famous words " I'm tired and I'm sick of being sick and tired" are stuck in my head, too. The civil rights activist and movement ground breaker for African American voter registration in Mississippi in the 1960's spoke plainly but so strong and clear on her vision of equality in America. Last night on the Tavis Smiley show , the actor James Cromwell (the farmer in the movie "Babe") spoke about his early acting experiences doing theater in Mississippi and Louisiana where he encountered Mrs. Hammer at one of his performances. Mrs.Hamer spoke up and out at the Q&A portion of the play.

Earlier today, in a meeting, Fannie Lou Hamer's eloquent words popped into my head but not out of my mouth. Hearing Fannie clearly say, "I am tired and sick of being sick and tired" made me feel think that's how I feel, too.

Beginning with a painting, next a film, a television talk show and in my research today about Faith Ringgold; Fannie Lou Hamer was mentioned and in my heart and head her famous words expressed my feelings.

Six degrees of separation between me and this courageous warrior, Mrs. Fannie Lou Hamer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog gets better and better. Floridians just can't stop reading it! Billi, you might want to try the spoken word circuit as your writings are so very personal. Here are a few snaps from Florida!!

The Boston politics are as good as they get right now. Readers, remember to get out and vote.